Re: reply to Gene's reply-to address

Gene Heskett wrote:
And verizon strikes again. My apologies Alexander. But I am subscribed to this list and the list comes in fine. They (verizon) are not, IIRC, properly honoring a reverse lookup, and those MTA's that require that, per the rfc, will hang it up. Or at least thats what I've been told.

I've bitched, lots of people have bitched, but verizon seems adamant in their refusal to conform to the rfc's. They only closed their open relay status last fall after over a million of us were defined on half the friggin planets RBL lists. They screwed with it for several months before that faded away, and now they've been seducing the canine again, no service for about 10 hours total in the past 7 days, with no explanations offered when you call.

Do you have a reference for this (reverse lookups) anywhere? I can see two different problems with Verizon's mail servers at present, but they don't include reverse lookups:

1. For outgoing mail, they have stopped supporting AUTH LOGIN (RFC 2554). Given that AUTH LOGIN sends credentials in plain text (well, base64 encoded) over the network, there is at least *some* justification for this.

2. For incoming mail, they're blocking much of Europe by IP address. The google URL I posted earlier has meny references to this, and it's much less defensible. They're also using a home-brewed sender verification scheme that can appear at times to be indistinguishable from a dictionary attack.

I'd get somebody else for an ISP, but in this little piece of the planet, they are the *only* game in town if you don't want to go back to dialup at $30 more a month. Cable can supply in the surrounding areas, at about 2x the $$ a month but not here. I tossed them and got a Dish, $20 a month cheaper. But that doesn't get me internet access either.

I'm quite happy with my own ISP and the services they provide, and if it wasn't for the fact that I'm such a geek, I'd be using their mail, DNS, web etc. services. However, I choose not to; I run my own servers for these services for my domain, and thus do not suffer from any cock-ups other than my own - I use my ISP for connectivity only. I guess that would be an option for you too?

Paul.