Re: Fc =! production!!

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:09:38 +0530, gaurav <gauravp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 01:36, gaurav wrote:
> >
> >>Hi guys,
> >>             I want to know if fedora is ready for production
> >>Even though I not much problem running my fc servers all people I have
> >>consulted say I should use debian (and no I cannot pay for  RHEL).....is
> >>it based on facts like security holes, bugs and response , patches
> >>availability  or some general perception  ??
> >>

> >First, note that there are free clones based on RHEL like
> >http://www.centos.org.  However any instability in fedora has
> >so far been only with certain hardware - that is, if you get
> >it installed and working on a system it will be as likely to
> >continue to work as any other distribution.  The other issue
> >is that official support/updates only continues for the current
> >release and one previous version, so you need to re-install about
> >once a year
> >
> can I automatically upgrade using yum ??

This has been discussed on the list some.  The answer is theoretically
yes, but it isn't a "supported" method of upgrade.  I think you could
say that means it isn't guaranteed to work correctly.  I seem to
remember several posts from people saying that they had upgraded using
yum.  You have to modify the config files to point to the new packages
and run a command, so I assume that falls within your definition of
"automatically."  However, if you have production servers, then you
probably have some decent bandwidth, and it would probably be better
just to grab the next isos and do an upgrade.  Especially if you have
several servers to upgrade, this is probably even a better use of
bandwidth.
As others have suggested, if you don't want to upgrade as often and
cannot afford RHEL, then go with one of the free clones (if you want
to stick with a RedHat distro).

Jonathan