Re: smartctl -l error /dev/... When to worry ?

Hannes Mayer wrote:

I get this for hdb:
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 099 099 000 Old_age Always - 646543
which I assume is in minutes, so that would be almost 449 days.
The errors occured at day 224, so that is pretty old.

What brand of drive is this? Some drives keep the power_on_hours in minutes.

hdb is the slave on my IDE bus, currently with FC2.
hda is the master with windoze running idle 99% of the time, just mounting it
from FC2 from time to time.

hdf was the slave with hdb, when hdb still had windoze on it.

OK, so for hdf we have:
5368 hours = 224 days
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 237 237 000 Old_age Always - 16981
16981 hours = 707.5 days

So these errors are pretty old too.

But I get confused by the Power_On_Hours. Can this value be altered in some way ?
hdb has 449 days and hdf 707 days, but hdb is in use for a much longer time...

This could be buggy firmware. I see on the smartmontools page that, for example, some Maxtor drives did not update the timer when the drive was in idle mode, and that caused the timer to show a lot less time than the drive actually had on it.

While I was there, I also saw this, which is similar to what you are seeing:

# *What's this smartctl message mean?: Warning: ATA error count 9 inconsistent with error log pointer 5*

# The ATA error log is stored in a circular buffer, and the ATA specifications are unambiguous about how the entries should be ordered. This warning message means that the disk's firmware does not strictly obey the ATA specification regarding the ordering of the error log entries in the circular buffer. Smartmontools will correct for this oversight, so this warning message can be safely ignored by users. (On the other hand, firmware engineers: please read the ATA specs more closely then fix your code!).