Annoying and seemingly unsolvable problem.

I have a weird "problem" that may just be a mere annoyance that everyone
experiences.  Whenever I copy content from one application or document
and want to paste it in to another application it works fine until I
close out of the application that I copied it from.  Once I do that the
contents are no longer available for pasting.  Is this just a fluke on
my machine or is anyone else having this problem?  Is it even a
problem?  Sorry for such a trivial matter but I am a long time Windows
user and am just trying to get used to all the quirks of a linux
machine.
--
Thanks,
Tom Sapp