Re: Multiple network cards

Rick Stevens wrote:

Mike Harris wrote:

I have two network cards, on built-in to my motherboard, and a PCI one. For each I've compiled the drivers as modules. (e100 for the builin, and 8139too for the PCI). One is my internal network, and the other connects to the internet.

1. Why did you need to compile these drivers? AFAICT They are included in FC1.
2. Maybe the fact you recompiled them and did not use the ones included with the distro is causing a problem. :-(

They both work, but the problem is I can't specify which one is eth0 and eth1, and occasionally they'll switch. In /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modprobe.conf (I'm not sure of the difference of these files) I have the lines:
alias eth0 e100
alias eth1 8139too
This is what I'd like them set up to be. Any ideas why it's not listening to me?

/etc/modprobe.conf is used for the 2.6.X kernels and works a little differently
Booting into the 2.4 kernel the entry in modules.conf should work and they should never change.

Rather depends on which card is available when. You could try to add an "HWADDR=" line to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX to try to force it.

This happens *after* the device is already loaded and named . An incorrect HWADDR line could break any connections if the card was not properly identified with that interface name. And AFAIK the drivers allow assigning a different hw address anyway.