Re: Virtual Box & Windows -

On 27/03/11 18:32, Mikkel wrote:
> On 03/22/2011 04:19 PM, compdoc wrote:
>>> My problem is
>>> that the only way I can get Windows to run is to plug it into
>>> the first slot, then Windows boots but I never see grub.
>> By first slot I guess you sata port? It's been a while since I've noticed
>> Windows caring about device order. I have seen windows try to change its
>> drive letter when it finds itself on a new drive port, but that was only
>> under certain conditions.
>>
>> When you move your windows drive to port 1, you don't see grub because grub
>> is installed on the other drive. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about
>> dual booting with grub, so maybe someone else here can tell you how...
>>
>> I think if you were to place your windows drive in port 1, and then were to
>> set up grub to run from the windows drive, it would solve the problem?
>>
> I am late to this thread, so it may already have been mentioned, but
> you may want to look at the map option in Grub.
>
> 	rootnoverify (hd0,0)
> 	map (hd0) (hd1)
> 	map (hd1) (hd0)
> 	chainloader +1
>
> Mikkel

        I managed to create a grub.conf that works [a minor miracle].
        However I am interested in this.

        I don't see the "map" option in man grub?

        Info grub is hard to deal with, copied it to info.txt which
        produces 73 pages in an openoffice document using a font large
        enough that I can see ...

        How do I use the "map" option?

        Bob