Re: copy files from virtualbox -

On 27/03/11 11:58, Claude Jones wrote:

> On Sunday, March 27, 2011, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
> >         Therein lies my problem, sftp to where? How do I
>
> > address the shared files in the virtual WindowsXP. I even
>
> > copied them to a new directory under the "c" drive designation
>
> > but I can't find the virtual files from here in F14.
>

> >         It may be obvious but I don't see it, makes me feel
>
> > dumb!
>

> I just tried file-sharing setup between a virtual Win7 machine running
> in Virtual Box and my Fedora 14 host. It's relatively trivial to set
> up a share on your host machine. First, shut down the virtual machine,
> the XP vm in your case. Then, in the VirtualBox Manager window, for
> your machine, find the item that says "Shared Folders" - clicking on
> that will give you a wizard that will allow you to set up a shared
> folder on your Fedora machine that will be seen by your XP virtual
> machine the next time you run it. When you open up XP the next time,
> you should be able to open a Windows Explorer window and see the share
> in the list (in my Win7 Explorer window, the share appeared at the
> bottom of the tree that started with 'Computer')
>

> So, that's one direction. If you want to be able to move files from
> your Fedora host to your Virtual XP machine, that's a different story
> - VNC could be a simple way to do this in addition to the other
> suggestions you've gotten
>

> --
>
> Claude Jones
>
> Brunswick, MD, USA

        I created a folder /home/bobg/winshared in this computer.

        Then in virtualbox under "Shared Folders" I entered
        /home/bobg/winshared again which it shows as "winshared
        /home/bobg/winshared"

        In the virtual Windows I think I have tried every possible
        combination under shared folders, etc. but to no avail, no files
        are transferred to Linux and Windows does not show "winshared"
        directory. I can move files around within Windows, even tried
        creating a "winshared" directory there. The problem may well be
        that I am not dealing with the Windows side properly.

        However I'm beginning to think this project is not worth the
        effort I am putting into it.

        Thanks.

        Bob