Re: Virtual Box & Windows -

On Thursday, March 24, 2011, compdoc wrote:

> If you want to go virtual, it's easy enough to do with the

> imaging programs clonezilla or Acronis.

> First, it's probably a good idea to create a backup image with

> clonezilla or Acronis so you can put it back the way it was if

> it all goes wrong.

> Then, in XP open the Add/Remove Programs control panel and

> remove all your drivers: video card, sound card, chipset, etc.

> If you're familiar with Sysprep, run this next and shut down.

> Now, boot with your image program and create the backup again

> of this stripped down, sysprepped XP.

> Then create your VM and its virtual drive, and restore the

> stripped down image to the virtual drive.

> It might work fine without using Sysprep since XP should have

> drivers for the virtual hardware in the VM.  Just don't try to

> use 'virtio' hardware until the VM is up and running.

I like this! I'm a long time user of Acronis so I'm very familiar with its workings. It is something you have to buy, though there's a version available on the Seagate website that's a little stripped down but available for free download - I have no idea whether the feature set remaining in this version is sufficient to do the above task, but it would cost you nothing to find out. I think they call it Seagate Tools... VMWare has a free tool you can download that will create a virtual hard drive of any physical drive, and that's the one I've used. The page I linked to is one of several I found which describes a way to take a VMWare created virtual drive and convert it for use by VirtualBox, but I haven't ever done that myself - this technique compdoc describes above looks like it could be even simpler...

--

Claude Jones

Brunswick, MD, USA