Re: Direction of Fedora desktop manager Gnome, related to complaints in OT morons thread

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 10:16 -0700, stan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just thought I would make an observation about the direction of Fedora
> after reading some of the comments in the OT morons thread, that has
> morphed into grumbling about Gnome 3.
>
> I was looking at the list archives
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/
> for another reason and I noticed a trend that might be relevant.  Five
> years ago the gzipped text for a month of list traffic ran in the 4 to
> 5 MB range.  Today it runs less than a MB.
>
> Now, there can be many reasons for that:
> - the traffic has been split to more specific lists
> - people are using other means to get help, such as forums and chat
> - Fedora has become so easy to use there aren't as many issues raised
> - people are voting with their feet and deserting Fedora
>
> If it is the last reason, that is troubling for the future.  And it
> begs the question of *why* people might be deserting Fedora.  Is it
> related to the sort of grumbling and dissatisfaction seen on the OT
> morons thread?  I know there is some truth for me in that.  It
> seems that the people doing the work want it to be trendy, in some
> cases just for trendiness' sake, while I care more about stability and
> functionality.  That can also be viewed as making Fedora cutting
> edge, and it is hard to argue with that.  Perhaps Fedora is shifting
> away from the sweet spot of my use, and I'll eventually have to look
> elsewhere.  From another perspective, I suppose it means I'm not
> keeping up with Fedora.  I can view that as an opportunity to change, I
> guess.

I would guess that there are only a finite number of questions one can
ask and they have been asked. Were you looking at comparable months., I
would bet the first months after list the postings where greater than
last month.