Re: Yum crashed

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 20:58:54 +0000
Krosh Ivanov <krosh.ivan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Output of commands: http://paste.ideaslabs.com/show/Gz39dMdbOs.
> Well, it doesn't matter the way I use yum, the error is the same. I
> think I've changed nothing related to yum configuration or to
> something important to it. The package 'yum' is not found anymore
> because I removed some files from db, but I had got the error before
> doing that.

If I understand the output you posted and your comments above
correctly, you have made direct changes to files under package
management (rpm) without going through yum or a similar manager.  This
will not work.  The tools, such as the one calling the rpmdb in the
function that failed, make assumptions about a sane state being
present.  If it isn't, they have no way of compensating for that.

At the very least you need to reinstall yum.  Download the rpm from a
repository and
rpm -ivh <yum package name>
And you should reinstall the fedora-release package also.  It is
possible it is setting the version that the rpmdb function is calling
to determine version, the function that failed.

You can also install the package yum-utils and run the utility
package-cleanup --problems
to see if there are any inconsistencies in your package database.

Before, or after, you do that, it might be a good idea to try to make
your rpm environment sane.  As root,
cd /var/lib/rpm
rm __db.*
rpm --rebuilddb

This will recreate the rpm databases from scratch based on the
installed packages.  It will take a while, depending on the number of
packages you have installed.

Once you reinstall yum, you should be good to go again.  Unless you
have made other changes.

Direct manipulation of files should only be done in the /usr/local
hierarchy or your home environment.  It *can* be done with system files,
but you have to make sure you are aware of all the side effects.