Re: Brasero to create video DVD?

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Alex <mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yes, to answer another post from this thread, I am indeed trying to
> create a standard DVD movie from an AVI for an older regular DVD
> player that doesn't directly play AVIs.

Here's how you can create a basic DVD (no editing and no DVD menu)
from existing videos files (you need to install ffmpeg and dvdauthor
first). If you need to edit your files, try pitivi, kdenlive,
openshot, kino, avidemux, cinelerra or LiVES
(http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/top5-linux-video-editing-system-software/).
These programs can probably export to DVD also, including menus.

Still, being able to quickly create a DVD from a bunch of existing
video is very handy
(http://radagast.bglug.ca/linux/dvd_authoring/dvd_authoring.html).

1) Convert your videos (from whatever format they are) to the DVD MPEG format:
ffmpeg -i my_movie.avi -target pal-dvd my_movie.mpg

2) Create DVD structure (this puts it into a directory called dvd):
dvdauthor --title --video=pal -o dvd -f mymovie.mpg

3) Create the DVD titles:
dvdauthor -o dvd -T

4) Turn the DVD into an ISO image (called dvd.iso), ready to burn to DVD:
mkisofs -dvd-video -o dvd.iso dvd/

Now you can play that dvd.iso in something like VLC to test it :-)

Of course you can easily add more videos using a simple for loop in
bash. Let's assume that you have arranged all your videos in a
directory called "video". Here's how to do it:

Go into your video directory:
cd video/

1) Convert your videos (from whatever format they are) to the DVD MPEG format:
for x in $(ls) ; do ffmpeg -i $x -target pal-dvd $x.mpg ; done

2) Create DVD structure (this puts it into a directory called dvd):
dvdauthor --title --video=pal -o dvd -f *.mpg

The last two steps are the same.

Burn your Image to disc using K3b, or something that works, like wodim.

-c