Re: How to compile a soft same as the version realeased by fedora?

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011 10:52:38 +0800
GeeKer Wang <wwthunan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     I tried to compile OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3-3.fc14.rpm software, and
> got a low efficient and large version of it. But the version from
> fedora-repo works well.
> eg. my version with frame rate < 10, while fedora-repo version with
> frame rate ~=40.
>
> I have tried three ways:
> 1. configure && make
> 2. ccmake && make
> 3. rpmbuild --recompile OpenSceneGraph-2.8.3-3.fc14.src.rpm
> They resulted the same anyway. Especially, the rpmbuld way took 3G+
> disk space, each .so file is much larger and each application is
> slower. It's realy strange to me. I use the gcc/g++ 4.5.1 under
> fedora 14.
>
>  So where the differences come from? Or where are the special places
> in fedora's compiling environment? Any advice will be appreciated,
> thx.

After all the discussion, I downloaded the src.rpm and unpacked it.  I
couldn't see any reason for a problem in the .spec or the source.  I
then ran the rpmbuild -bb command, and it is building the package.  This
takes a long time on my system.  But I notice that it is building
everything with the -g flag, that is with debugging support built in,
even though it is supposed to be configured for Release and is using
optimization (O2). Unfortunately, it uses cmake, which I'm not very
familiar with, so finding where the problem is isn't straightforward
for me.  This -g compile flag is probably the source of the difference
you are seeing in frame rate.

It is going to take as long, or longer, to compile this as a kernel.
I'll post the size of the rpm when done.