Re: JFS support in Fedora?

stan wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 17:46:24 -0200
> Fernando Cassia<fcassia@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>
>> IBM has released one of the first updates to JFSUtils in two years
>> time. JFS file system development has been glaciar... but it seems to
>> continue.
>>
>> http://jfs.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jfs/jfsutils/NEWS?revision=1.33
>>
>> I wonder what's the status with regards to JFS support in Fedora. Is
>> there any chance this updated code will land in F15?. Or is JFS file
>> system even supported in current Fedoras?. (last time I tried JFS, I
>> was using SUSE 9.0, go figure :)
>>
>> The core FS is still near six years old...
>> http://jfs.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/jfs/jfsutils/NEWS?revision=1.27
>
> The Fedora kernel package still has support for JFS compiled in, in
> F14.  So I suppose it must still be supported.
>
> F15 is in release candidate status.  Unless the changes are backward
> compatible, it won't land there even after release.  Caveat:  I'm not
> developing F15, so this is just a logical deduction, not an in the loop
> knowing. Perhaps someone else can give you that.
>
> Keep an eye on the kernel list and see if the latest version in
> development (2.6.39?) is going to get this new JFS version worked into
> it or if it won't be till 2.6.40.

Seeing "JFSutils" I assumed it was the user mode support code being discussed,
but that was just my thought. If the kernel needs updating, hopefully we would
see it in 2.6.39, I think that's still in play, or 2.6.40 later this year.

I don't see any inherent reason why JFS would need SElinux off, so someone might
fix that in the future, were they so inclined.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>