Re: automatic menus for window managers

On 03/14/2011 06:22 AM, Piscium wrote:
> I am currently using a full desktop environment (Gnome) but am
> considering using instead a window manager. There are dozens of them
> around, so I have been exploring and comparing.
>
> I noticed that for many of the window managers that I install in
> Debian (examples: fluxbox, openbox, awesome) there is an application
> menu tree that can be easily accessed with the mouse from the desktop,
> and this tree has - as far as I can tell - the same applications in
> the Gnome menu, though usually organized differently.
>
> If I install the same window managers in Fedora I do not get the menu
> tree. I like the way things work in Debian because this means less
> work is needed in creating menus for some rarely used applications
> (for programs that I use often I don't mind spending some time to
> create some sort of launcher).

Debian's  menu system dates back to the time when there was no
freedesktop.org xdg menu specification and my understanding is that, the
Debian menu system is considered deprecated.   Window managers in Fedora
usually  have utilities to generate a menu based on the xdg spec.  For
example, fluxbox-xdg-menu, part of the fluxbox package

Rahul