Re: Frequent paging

On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 19:37:30 -0500 Suvayu Ali
<fatkasuvayu+linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> JB:
>
> I have tried using iotop before, I didn't see anything out of the
> ordinary.
>

> Ranjan:
>
> On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 11:11:42 -0500
> Ranjan Maitra <maitra@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > There were memory leaks in evince, I don't know if they got fixed.
> > > One problem I saw was, if you zoomed in then out then in, the
> > > memory foot print would increase.
> >
> > I agree that epdfview is not something that has a lot of features, but
> > I have found it to be very lightweight and reasonably good for my
> > needs. You could try that instead of evince: of course, it is not
> > clear if that is causing or will solve your problem.
> >

> I tried out epdfview. Seems workable except for one thing. I am rather
> accustomed to not needing to reload the pdf in evince when it changes
> on disk. Since I'm working on a constantly changing document, I need
> that rather frequently. I think I'll use auto-revert-mode with
> docview-mode in emacs for now. If evince is the real source of the
> paging problem this should make it apparent in a day or two.

i was not aware that evince has this capability now: I was used to using
ctrl-r to reload the changed document. (this also  works on epdfview).

another alternative is xpdf whose biggest plus is that it does not use
keys such as ctrl in the keybindings. however, it has some missing
features such as the ability to customize printing, etc.

i wish someone would take over epdfview from emma-soft and speed up its
glacial pace of development.

thanks,
ranjan