Re: Any arguments for keeping Yum case-sensitive?

On 3/9/11 3:23 AM, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
>>> I can't say that I've ever seen any valid reason for filename case
>>> sensitivity.
> Ralf Corsepius:
>> Well did you just have some coke or was it Coke, tIM?
> Neither.  And I've still not seen a valid reason for *wanting* a case
> sensitive file system.
In the beginning, there was the file system and it was good.  Case
sensitivity was added at the request of the then UNIX developers and
users.  That is how UNIX came to be case sensitive.  Yes, it can be a
PITA, but that is the way it is and probably will always be.  Windows,
which was built off of MS-DOS, which was built off of L-DOS, which was
used on systems that only supported upper case file names, was built to
be case insensitive.  That is the way it is and will always be.

> Yes, I've seen reasons why it came to be, and why it may be hard to use
> a case insensitive file system.  But it's still not an argument for
> wanting it to be that way.

You are about twenty years to late to be arguing this.  Decisions were
made YEARS ago in Linux as to whether to follow the UNIX path or DOS
path.  Linus wanted Linux to be 'as close as possible' to his target
system and it had case sensitivity, thus Linux does now.  Every improved
file system has had it and in some cases NTFS does (and you have to
watch out for them.)

Yum (which was based off of the Yellow Dog Unix system for Macs) was
built on a case sensitive file system.  Thus, to this day, it remains
case sensitive.  You can do things like
new_file_name = lower(file with mixed and upper case)
mv 'file with mixed and upper case' $new_file_name
yum $new_file_name

as a shell script and then use $1 for the file name or you can add the
ability to prompt for the file name.

I don't think yum developers are going to change its abilities until a
very good case is made to have a case insensitive file system (and this
must be based on more than feelings...)

James McKenzie