Re: Memtest mystery

Tom Horsley wrote:

> I did have a server machine at work with a gazillion different
> banks of memory which memtest86+ constantly said had memory errors
> even though everything seemed to work fine.
>
> At some point, someone noticed that the memory wasn't plugged into
> the different banks in the recommended symmetric configuration
> and when we reconfigured the slots the memory was plugged into,
> the memtest86+ runs started working flawlessly.

OK, thanks for that.
But I did take the module out, and put it in another laptop,
and memtest86 still failed, and in much the same places.

Also my wife had been having various troubles with the machine,
which is why I suspected the RAM.

Anyway, I have coughed up €18 for a new 1GB module,
which hopefully will pass all the tests.

(I said the machine was a Dell Inspiron,
but I see on looking at it that it is actually a Latitude D610.)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net