Re: Getting a USB driver added for a device ? (Hitec HPP-22, wine, USB, RC)

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 17:18:59 -0700
Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At this point I have been advised that the proper USB driver has not
> been installed for the HPP-22 device.   Who should I talk to to get
> this done or get help to do it myself ?

> usbmon does not indicate any activity whatsoever on the bus the HPP-22
> is connected to.  My guess is that the HPP-22 software is not finding
> the HPP-22 hardware and is thus not attempting to talk to it.

>From your description, it sounds like the device uses proprietary
extensions on top of the standard USB protocol.  This is a problem for
USB sound devices and USB scanners as well.  That would explain the
lack of communication - the generic USB driver isn't providing this
extra link.

In those devices, they run the device on Windows while sniffing the
communications.  They then reverse engineer the interface and add it to
a linux kernel driver.  You might get some idea from examining the
tools they use to do this.  What you would do is create a kernel driver
for the device starting from the generic USB driver and adding the
proprietary extensions you found in windows.  Loaded with modprobe, this
would then allow the software you are running under wine to communicate
with the hardware.

As a long shot, it might just be that there are permission problems of
some sort that are preventing communication.  That is, the hardware
actually is using the generic USB driver, but the software is being
prevented from talking to it.

Maybe someone who has this working will give you a better answer.