Re: Printing from WinXP machine to a F14 machin

On Thu March 10 2011, R. G. Newbury wrote:

> I ran into similar sort of problem trying to get a WINXP virtual
> instance to print through the F14 host.
> It turned out to depend on how the printer is connected to the network.
>
> #1) Attached to a print server using cups/lpd/lpp
>
> Use the 'network printer' option in the Printer Wizard.
> For my HP-1320 LaserJet connected using an SMC one-port print server.
> The server interface in my case is http://192.168.1.11:631 and the
> device URI in the Fedora setup is lpd:192.168.1.11/dummy.
> The WinXP guest printer uses:
> http://192.168.1.11:631/PASSTHRU
> where PASSTHRU is the 'name' of the print server port.
>
> You end up with a TCPIP port 'named' http://192.168.1.11:631/PASSTHRU
> and a printer named 'unknown on http://192..' etc. (there seems to be no
> way to name this printer).
>
> ***************************
> #2 Attached to a print server using hplip or some other method.
>
> Do NOT use 'network printer': use 'Local Printer' and create a TCPIP
> port for this printer. Under Fedora this printer shows up as
> 'socket:192.168.1.12:9100' and the browser interface to the server is
> accessed directly with http://192.168.1.12. (Note: no port address)
>
> Since my HP LaserJet MFC 3055 uses tcpip port 9100, I created a port
> 9100 and configured the port settings to 'RAW' (not LPD). You can name
> this printer whatever you want.
>
> I suspect the same considerations apply for an external real WINXP as to
> the virtual instance. It 'sees' the printer in the same way, in either
> case. The only funny thing is that the 'Network Attached' printer, is
> installed as a 'Local Printer'. Yes that did take a while to figure
> out... You might have to turn on printer sharing on the Fedora printer,
> so that external hosts are allowed to 'see' the 'IP:631' cups port.

I'm trying to do the opposite... I have an HP Deskjet F4480 that prints fine
from Windows, but I want to print to it from my Linux box. I tried setting
it up as a SAMBA printer, but it won't print, despite my sharing it out
from the XP box. Any ideas? When I had it connected to the F14 box, it
printed fine, but I wanted to print something from Windows so I put it on
the Windows box and now I can't print from Linux. :-(

Any suggestions?