Re: Printing from WinXP machine to a F14 machin

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 16:12:43 -0600 Aaron Konstam wrote:
>> >  I have tried that and it has not worked. Could you desctibe exactly how
>> >  you did that. Which option in the Add Printer GUI did you use and what
>> >  did you type there:
>> >  I have tried: ipp://hostname/printer/<printer queue name>
>> >  and that did not work..
> I don't remember explicitly, but I see the printer url is defined
> ashttp://fedora.box.name:631.
>
> Of course, I just tried to get to the printer properties for
> the first time in about a year, and XP is telling me it
> can't do it, so now it is busted for me too (I know I printed
> my taxes last year from this same XP box :-).

I ran into similar sort of problem trying to get a WINXP virtual
instance to print through the F14 host.
It turned out to depend on how the printer is connected to the network.

#1) Attached to a print server using cups/lpd/lpp

Use the 'network printer' option in the Printer Wizard.
For my HP-1320 LaserJet connected using an SMC one-port print server.
The server interface in my case is http://192.168.1.11:631 and the
device URI in the Fedora setup is lpd:192.168.1.11/dummy.
The WinXP guest printer uses:
http://192.168.1.11:631/PASSTHRU
where PASSTHRU is the 'name' of the print server port.

You end up with a TCPIP port 'named' http://192.168.1.11:631/PASSTHRU
and a printer named 'unknown on http://192..' etc. (there seems to be no
way to name this printer).

***************************
#2 Attached to a print server using hplip or some other method.

Do NOT use 'network printer': use 'Local Printer' and create a TCPIP
port for this printer. Under Fedora this printer shows up as
'socket:192.168.1.12:9100' and the browser interface to the server is
accessed directly with http://192.168.1.12. (Note: no port address)

Since my HP LaserJet MFC 3055 uses tcpip port 9100, I created a port
9100 and configured the port settings to 'RAW' (not LPD). You can name
this printer whatever you want.

I suspect the same considerations apply for an external real WINXP as to
the virtual instance. It 'sees' the printer in the same way, in either
case. The only funny thing is that the 'Network Attached' printer, is
installed as a 'Local Printer'. Yes that did take a while to figure out...
You might have to turn on printer sharing on the Fedora printer, so that
external hosts are allowed to 'see' the 'IP:631' cups port.

Geoff.

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury
            Barrister and Solicitor