Re: Separate /usr partition

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 8:32 PM, Robert Nichols <rnicholsNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I just noticed that ever since Fedora 11 the Installation Guide
recommends against having a /usr partition separate from the root file
system (though as recently as Fedora 12 the Example Usage still showed a
separate /usr).  I've always used a separate /usr kept mounted read-only
except when necessary for updates.  I was wondering just what sort of
"boot process becomes more complex" issues I've been fortunate enough to
avoid, and whether the reasons for that recommendation have become
stronger in more recent releases.

It probably has less to do with the boot process and more with disto upgrading; i.e. less likely that user files get clobbered if /usr is separate.