Re: Any arguments for keeping Yum case-sensitive?

On Tue, 8 Mar 2011 08:17:34 -0200
Fernando Cassia <fcassia@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 8:07 AM, Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I don't see people aguing for making yum (and other commands) cope with
> > misspelt things; case sensitivity is the same issue.
>
> I disagree strongly. Misspelt package names is not the same as
> spelling it right but not matching the right case.
>
> In the previous example, I knew I wanted "Perl-xml-parser". It should
> mean diddly squat if I spell XML with capital letters or not.
>
> Does Red Hat allow two packages with the same name, but different
> capitalization?. I rest my case.

Can you prove there are none ?

Anyway the basic problem you are describing is the misspelled /
mistyped / miscapitalised name. It's going to be both safer and more
flexible for yum to be smarter in general (eg someone write a plugin) so
that when you get a package which has been packed in Americanglish not
English for example the rest of us can still find it.

eg

	yum install some-colour-app
	Do you mean 'some-color-app'

Second problem you have is that the behaviour of package names is defined
by rpm not yum. Any change to the underlying fundamental question

	is "xyz" = "XYZ"

would need to be resolved cross distro

Third problem is of course that 'right case' isn't a term anyone uses
without deep concern when they consider locales. The western european
(and derivatives like American) notion of capital/lower case mapping is
not the same as other countries. There are even ambiguities in some
languages when you go in one direction (ie two letters have the same
capital etc)