Re: Fedora Core 14 wireless issue with Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200)

OK, thanks Wey_yi for chiming in, however, even if i do get the card to work in linux by recompiling the kernel or do use it in windows,
as you say, given that the EPROM is not to FCC standard, could I be putting other components of my computer and/or myself at any risk?

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 1:44 PM, wwguy <wey-yi.w.guy@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2011-02-28 at 08:27 -0800, Sebastian wrote:
> Thanks John for the message.
> Did Wey-yi respond to your mail John?
> Is the "too old" Eprom, firmware conjecture reasonable, considering
> the card DOES work in Windows 7 as verified?
> Unfortunately swapping out the card is not feasible since it would
> have to travel to Australia from Argentina and then the new one back
> again, bad for the hip pocket and more importantly for the
> environment.
>
> Haven't been able to contact intel yet, although i've been trying hard
> for the last few days.
> I don't really want to build my own Kernel, since I have no
> experience, and heard it is a pain in the proverbial.
> So I think i'll try to run a live ubuntu CD to see what happens... or
> maybe buy a new card locally.

Hi Sebastian,

Very sorry to know you have an "engineer sample" NIC, John is right, the
old EEPROM will have issue with regulatory compliance and Intel will not
support it.

The only choice you have will be:
1. swap out the card and replace with a good card
2. modify the iwl-eeprom.c file and rebuild kernel which I don't really
recommend.
3. switch to "Window" OS since Window driver don't check the EEPROM
version (Window driver's bug for not checking EEPROM version).

Wey