Re: Fedora Core 14 wireless issue with Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200)

Thanks John for the message.
Did Wey-yi respond to your mail John?
Is the "too old" Eprom, firmware conjecture reasonable, considering the card DOES work in Windows 7 as verified?
Unfortunately swapping out the card is not feasible since it would have to travel to Australia from Argentina and then the new one back again, bad for the hip pocket and more importantly for the environment.

Haven't been able to contact intel yet, although i've been trying hard for the last few days.
I don't really want to build my own Kernel, since I have no experience, and heard it is a pain in the proverbial.
So I think i'll try to run a live ubuntu CD to see what happens... or maybe buy a new card locally.

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:45 PM, John W. Linville <linville@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:14:18PM -0300, Sebastian wrote:
> Thank you for those who have taken the time to suggest possible ways to get
> my card working.
> It seems I have the latest firmware, the one that came with the Fedora
> 64-bit DVD, that I downloaded from fedora ~1 week ago.
> This is the output John was asking,
>
> [root@cupri Downloads]# rpm -q iwl6000-firmware
> > iwl6000-firmware-9.221.4.1-1.fc14.noarch
> >

> John, the wireless card was put into a machine I won on ebay by the same
> authorised dell ebay reseller,
> from Australia. The machine came with windows 7, I tested it in wondowz and
> the card appeared to work fine in windows 7.
>
>  Any other hints on the next steps to take to try to get wireless working
> for this card, on Fedora 14?

Well, it sounds like the hardware you have may not be entirely "legit",
and Intel doesn't want to support it.

You could try rebuilding your kernel locally, changing the value of
EEPROM_6000_EEPROM_VERSION in drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi/iwl-eeprom.h
to 0x423 (I think that was the value your device reported).  I doubt
if you like that option, but I'm not sure what else to suggest.
The problem is that the EEPROM contains information related to
regulatory compliance, so using an unsupported data format could
allow your device to operate outside of legal parameters. :-(

Perhaps you could get your hardware supplier to swap-out the card
for one obtained through more "official" channels?

John
--
John W. Linville                The truth will set you free, but first it will
linville@xxxxxxxxxx                     make you miserable. -- James A. Garfield