Re: Fedora Core 14 wireless issue with Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200)

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 01:27:59PM -0300, Sebastian wrote:
> Thanks John for the message.
> Did Wey-yi respond to your mail John?

I saw a reply from her -- perhaps she only sent it to me.
She confirmed that the required value was as intended.

> Is the "too old" Eprom, firmware conjecture reasonable, considering the card
> DOES work in Windows 7 as verified?

"Reasonable" may be in the eye of the beholder, but it depends on
what the driver does with the information it gets from the eeprom.
It could be that the current linux driver is doing something with
the eeprom info that the windows driver you are using doesn't do.
Maybe the linux driver could be more conservative about what it
does with eeprom info when the eeprom version is too old?  Or maybe
the windows driver is at risk of doing the wrong thing already?
Maybe some later version of the windows driver will refuse to work
with your hardware?  I have no idea.

For the most part, this is a hardware support issue for the Intel
folks.  If you can convince them that the earlier eeprom version
should be supported for your hardware, I'll be happy to merge a patch
to enable it.  But if they say that your hardware will operate outside
of legal limits with your eeprom's values, then I can't enable it in
good conscience.

John
--
John W. Linville		The truth will set you free, but first it will
linville@xxxxxxxxxx			make you miserable. -- James A. Garfield