mouse clicks fail on first login

I had this on a previous distro, so it's not specific to Fedora. I log in and after about 60 seconds, mouse clicks no longer work. The only workaround is to log out and log back in. Then mouse clicks work for an unlimited time. This is an HP DV7 laptop with a Synaptics touchpad and a Logitech Marble Mouse plugged in to it. Anyone know what's going on? My guess is that it's an X bug.