RE: random crashes

> Even if it has failed you don't want to
>try fixing it unless you are a qualified electrician and
>have appropriate tools for things like earth testing.

You don't repair failed/damaged PSUs and motherboards - you replace them.

>PSU's also fail for another common office reason in some
>configurations, that is the intake of paperclips and staples.
>Thankfully modern systems seem to be designed to keep
>intakes away from the such terrors.
> Removing the staple and paperclips is also a standard
>office keyboard service.

Heh. In over 20 years of doing IT for many small and large businesses, I
can't remember seeing a paperclip or staple inside a PSU. Not saying it
can't happen - one could bounce in through the back vent.

But even if that should be the case, you don't usually get away with simply
removing the foreign metal objects - you're going to be replacing the PSU.

And if you want to know why it failed, you're going to look inside the PSU.
(if you're the kind of a tech that cares to know)