Re: Trying to install Fedora 14 on a Stubborn Sony Vaio

Just a thought

The installation is hanging on isolinux read, it seems that the USB CDROM can't read the boot CD completely. Maybe there is something wrong with the connetion between USB CDROM and USB port.

So, in a general suggestion is to install it from hard disk.

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:45 AM, Patrick Bartek <bartek047@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
--- On Mon, 2/21/11, Jim <binarynut@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02/21/2011 02:33 PM, Patrick
> Bartek wrote:
> > --- On Mon, 2/21/11, Jim<binarynut@xxxxxxxxxxx
> wrote:
> >
> >> A Sony Vaio will not let me boot on
> >> cdrom with a Crashed Windows OS,
> >> trying  to install Fedora only on laptop.
> Even if I
> >> have BIOS set to
> >> boot off Cdrom.
> >>
> >> I even hooked a external cdrom to usb and enabled
> in Bios
> >> to be first
> >> boot device, won't work,  in all cases
> it  will
> >> only Attempt to Load
> >> Windows.
> >>
> >> It won't even let you disable hard drive in Boot
> process.
> > This may be a stupid question, but have you checked
> the ORDER of the chosen boot devices in BIOS?  If the
> hard drive is first in the boot chain, even if the CDROM
> drive is set as bootable, BIOS will stll go to the hard
> drive first to boot the system regardless of a bootable CD
> being in the CDROM drive.

> Done that, cdrom is first boot device, and hard drive is
> second boot device.

Okay.  Two more stupid questions:

1. Is the drive a CD drive or DVD one?
2. Is Fedora on a CD or DVD?

Had to ask.  It wouldn't be the first time I put a DVD in the CD drive of an old machine and wondered why it wasn't reading.

Have you checksummed both the downloaded Fedora file and burned media?

> I think this is a Vista install and Sony has the laptop
> bootup setup to
> bootup  on a path to Windows on hard drive. and
> ignores the cdrom.

Never heard of that.  I've fixed plenty of Windows XP and Vista installs on various machines including Vaios by booting off a CD.  Never had a problem.  Try booting the Vaio while repeatedly pressing F8.  Do you get a Boot Device Menu or something similar?  See if you can boot Windows into Safe Mode or to the Repair console.  If you have one, have you tried booting from a Windows install CD/DVD?  Or any other bootable CD?  You may have a bad CD/DVD drive.

--
Thanks&Regards

   Vincent Li (李锐聪)
Tel: 13433906991