Re: Qn about rsnapshot/rsync directory filter rules

Hi Patrick,

On Sun, Feb 20, 2011 at 5:32 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-02-20 at 01:20 -0800, Suvayu Ali wrote:
>> I wish to understand the filter so that I can build the entire rule
>> set
>> in layers. Something like this,
>>
>> 1. ignore all files
>> 2. add backup_root/dir1
>> 3. add backup_root/some_file
>>
>> So the subsequent layers overrule (I think logically its an OR) the
>> previous rule set. This way the backup process will ignore files
>> unless
>> other wise specified. Is that possible? Or am I asking for something
>> which is achieved more easily/differently?
>
> Can't you just run rsnapshot on backup_root? I'm afraid I don't really
> understand what you're trying to do.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I am trying to setup my include/exclude ruleset
on the sending side instead of as a global setting as I intend to back
up multiple machines simultaneously. I wasn't getting the desired
results when I was using directory filters. I think it was because I
had misunderstood how rsync uses the filter rules for directory
specific filters. My problem was I had put the exclude rules _before_
the include rules, so rsync was skipping the directories before my
include rules could take effect.

> poc

Thanks for your response.

--