Re: Trouble Installing Fedora 14 on VMware 7.1.3

Yeah, I though that if I had Fedora 13 installed maybe I could boot from
The DVD and do a Fedora 14 upgrade from DVD. But, I had trouble getting
VMWare to boot from the DVD even after adding bios.bootDelay = "5000".
This was a hint I found on the web to give a reasonable opportunity to
enter <esc>. I still couldn't get this to work, but could have been
pilot error (long story hard to explain in an email).

Then, I thought I'd install Fedora 13 then use the instructions here to
upgrade:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/YumUpgradeFaq

Started out great but turns out it dies due to not enough room in /boot
or / because of the default partitioning. I don't know if that's
VMware's fault or Fedora not leaving enough room for upgrading this way.

I decided maybe it was VMware's "Easy Install" that was getting things
wrong. So, I created a VM machine and selected "Install Later", in hopes
it would bypass the easy install. It created the machine and when I
powered it up the first time it booted from the DVD and I went through
all the install steps and partitioned the disk my own way that will
hopefully allow me to upgrade to Fedora 15 someday in the future, using
the yum suggestions above.

At any rate Fedora 14 is in the process of installing all the packages
as I write this. I assume everything will be OK from here forward.

I guess VMWare's easy install ain't so easy.

Thanks
Chris Kottaridis