Re: users Digest, Vol 84, Issue 33 {Posting Error}

On Mon, 2011-02-14 at 10:42 -0500, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> For anyone subscribing to the digests and planning to reply to
> messages, I would recommend checking on your list options page that
> you're using the MIME-style digests.  The digest will then include
> each message as an individual message part.  Any halfway decent mail
> client can then reply do an individual digest message and keep the
> subject and headers needed for threading intact.

I've never seen a great advantage in the digests, other than for
archiving purposes.  If you're going to get 1000 messages as 1000
messages, or in one huge message, it's still a lot of data.  And it's
far more of a pain to reply to the digest.  Never mind keep one or two
useful messages out of it, and delete the rest.  Or that far too many
mail servers, or clients, make a pigs breakfast out of huge messages.

I really wish there were some automatic function to restrict replies to
digests.  If you full quote, you get rejected.  If you reply with a
digest subject line, you get rejected.  If you reply with broken
threading you get rejected (i.e. your reply headers must refer to the
original post, not the whole digest main headers)...

Even non-digest replies with broken headers are a major pain.  If you're
trying to help someone, who's every reply is randomly splattered
throughout your list of emails, it becomes a needle in a haystack
searching job to follow a thread.  Especially if you have a few hundred
messages in the folder you're working on.  Even if you filter out all
the other messages with a different subject line, the sequence of their
replies and yours is all out of kilter.

At least back in the BBS days, the offline mailers would fetch all your
mail as one digest-like spool file, but split it apart into individual
messages.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686