Re: users Digest, Vol 84, Issue 33 {Posting Error}

Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 11 February 2011 19:47:11 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> Just to be clear: changing the Subject line is *not enough* (same
>> comment also applies to those who hijack threads). It's important
>> to reply correctly to the message so as to preserve RFC-standard
>> threading, which pays no attention to the Subject line.
>>
> I've never seen instructions on how to reply to a message in a
> digest, yet keep the threading.  I don't use digest myself, but if
> you know how it's done, it would be useful to document it.

Using the MIME-style digests makes this trivial in most email clients.
We set this style of digest as the default for this list a few months
or so ago.  The Mailman default is to send plain text digests, which
are much more of a pain.  I'm not sure if they even contain all the
needed information.

For anyone subscribing to the digests and planning to reply to
messages, I would recommend checking on your list options page that
you're using the MIME-style digests.  The digest will then include
each message as an individual message part.  Any halfway decent mail
client can then reply do an individual digest message and keep the
subject and headers needed for threading intact.

Whatever it is that the government does, sensible Americans would
prefer that the government does it to somebody else. This is the idea
behind foreign policy.
    -- P.J. O'Rourke