Broadcom Wireless on Fedora 14 (was Re: users Digest, Vol 84, Issue 33)

On Friday 11 February 2011 19:27:15 Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 02/11/2011 10:50 AM, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Please don't reply to digests, and especially don't reply to digests and
> > quite the entire fscking digest in your message (which will now show up
> > all over again in the next digest).
>
> It could be worse, and it has been.  About fifteen years ago, I was on a
> mailing list that was misconfigured.  This became clear when somebody
> signed up with the wrong email address and all messages from the list
> bounced.  The default was to send out digests unless and until you
> changed your settings, and all bounces went to the list itself.
>
> Each digest bounced, causing a new digest to be sent containing the
> previous digest plus whatever had come in since the last.  Not only
> that, it decided that these "mega-digests" had to go out to everybody,
> including the vast majority of us who didn't want digests.  Now, add to
> that the fact that over 90% of us were on Dial-Up at the time.
>
> As I said, "It could be worse."

While the points made are all true, I'd like to point out that the original
message was actually intended to be helpful to others.  After such a
reception, he probably won't bother next time.

Why is it that some people on this list think it clever to publicly humiliate?
Gentle reminders off-list are so much more effective.

Anne