Re: How to be notified if the battery of my notebook is low?

On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 18:07 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> On 02/09/2011 05:40 PM, Aaron Konstam wrote:
>
> > I don't usually run my laptop until the battery gives out but I would
> > swear that I am notified when the battery is low. No wall command is
> > issued though. This happens without any special configuration on my
> > part.
>
> Um, yes.  I done a bit of this lately.  I've been told that if you use
> your laptop until the battery runs out, then let it sit for a couple of
> hours (DO NOT CHARGE!), and start it up again (and let the battery run
> out again) that the next time you charge it up, it will charge to a
> (slightly) higher level than the previous last charge level.  This is
> supposed to help fend off battery depletion!  I was testing.  I've seen
> some small change with my battery capacity, but I haven't gotten it back
> to near new power levels yet.
>
> Anyways, I get a notice (pop-up) from the Gnome-Power-Manager when the
> battery capacity gets to 20% (At this point, the battery icon turns
> orange).  I get another warning (pop-up) when it gets to less than 5
> minutes remaining.  I get a final warning that the laptop will hibernate
> if the power gets much lower, then, before it can hibernate, the power dies.
>
> Is there somewhere I can configure the Gnome-power-manager to warn me or
> start the hibernate process earlier?  So that it completes?  I know it
> doesn't complete, because when I reboot, it reboots immediately to a new
> kernel, not the old desktop I was running when it died.
>
> I'd like to re-define the critical point where it starts the hibernate
> so that it has enough power left to complete the hibernate process....
>
> --
> Kevin J. Cummings
> kjchome@xxxxxxxxxxx
> cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)

I relly don't know the answer but it seems to me if yoi are going to
hybernate you might not want to check the option to spin down the drives
when the power gets to low. But it will depend on what that option
really means. Hopefully it will hibernate and then spin down.