Re: Is there a better Alternative to Thunderbird ?

On 02/03/2011 11:20 AM, Robert Myers wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 1:43 PM, Petrus de Calguarium<pgueckel@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>> Heinz Diehl wrote:
>>
>> In Fedora is there a better email Browser ?
>>>

>> Kmail. I've been using it for over 10 years, and it has never failed me yet.
>>

> Having all of KDE and Gnome is one way to increase the chances that
> you will have at least one version of more or less everything that
> works for desktop applications.  This comment is not particularly
> helpful for email, but it is a comment that reflects why Linux will
> never be a significant factor on the desktop.   Oops... the Gnome
> terminal isn't working with x-forwarding because of something the
> Fedora/Gnome "team" has done.  Better switch to KDE for that app until
> they get it fixed.  Typical Fedora user sighs and plows ahead.  Most
> of the world just won't put up with that kind of nonsense.

You can't say Linux won't be a factor on the desktop.  I have a number
of relatively unsophisticated users running CentOS as their desktop and
they're quite happy.  Oh, they look at my stuff and "ooh" and "aah" at
some of the niftiness, but they'll get it when it's stable.

<soap>
MacOS doesn't release often and Macs are very controlled environments
and don't have to cater to millions of different hardware combos unlike
most Linux environments.  Windows hasn't had a major release since
Windows 7, just bug and security fixes (lots of those).  Windows
stability?  Remember the travesty that was Vista?

Fedora is, by definition, experimental.  If one wishes stability, then
use CentOS or RHEL or another "stable" release.  I can't name another
OS with a 6-month (more or less) lifetime.  We are on the bleeding edge
with Fedora.  It's called that because you must expect to be wounded
occasionally when playing with sharp objects.
</soap>