Re: NTFS mount problem

On 01/22/2011 05:06 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-01-21 at 21:44 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> they are unable to copy their database off it due to "Permissions"
>> problems.  Which is strange because all the file permissions look to
>> be the same on both disk drives.
>
> Sounds suspiciously like different users...  e.g. On two Linux computers
> I could have "tim" user accounts, but with different user numbers.
> Therefore, they're different users.
>
> Taking the Windows approach to copy their Windows data, I'd be tempted
> to do it as their superuser, copy the files, then change owners.

Hey Tim,
	I'd love to take this offline because the Windows approach is OT for
Fedora-Users.  (But your posting address is an ignored email, so I am
resorting to porting this here in the hopes that you will respond off-list.)

	Thanks for the response.

	My Windows-7 knowledge is severely lacking.  Long story short:

1) My clients computer would no longer boot into Windows 7.  Each reboot
died at a different place during the boot-up and always ended up
rebooting before completing.

2) Before I got involved, they bought a new disk, with a new Windows
installation (with the same user name) with a single solitary user.
>From what I can see, it is the Administrator account, but with a user's
name.

3) They can mount the old disk using a SATA-USB converter and see the
data on the old drive in the new Windows-7 setup (which should be the
same as the installation on the old disk).

4) They have successfully copied a small number of files that they need,
but the .mdf database file remains elusive as the copy fails with a
permissions error.

5) I found some informtion in the Microsoft Support Center about how to
"detach" and "attach" database to the MSSQL server (which their
application uses to access the database) but I'm not familiar with the
processes involved.  I suppose I could just take the instructions back
with me and hope I can find the right stuff to try wht they suggest, but
since the old disk can't boot, I cannot "export" or "backup" the
database in preparation of "import" or "restore"ing it.

?) How would I ensure that the single user is indeed the Administrator?

?) How would I know if the names were the same, but the userIDs were
ultimately different?

?) Would I somehow need to shutdown (and then restart afterwards) the
MSSQL server in order to copy the database?

My client is in full panic mode because he has been without access (no
pun intended) to his database for 4 days now.  (I hear he's not sleeping
at night because he might be losing business by not being able to
contact his customers).

Many thanks for any help you might be able to provide me in my emergency
Windows-7 training.  B^)

[If it makes any difference, I just removed malware from 2 seperate XP
computers, and it was easy as those users *were* the administrator
accounts, and I was able to boot a Live-CD of Fedora-14 to remove the
files that were still open under XP after the malware-removal software
had removed all that it could.  I was hoping to do the same for this
client, but the main data disk did not finish mounting on my laptop
while I was there.  I think I gave up and unplugged the disk after 15
minutes of waiting.  Imagine my surprise, when after suspending the
laptop and going home that 5 hours later I noticed an icon for the (no
longer attached USB disk partition) sitting on my desktop!]

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxxxxxx