NTFS mount problem

Today I tried to help a client restore an MS SQL database from a disk
drive, so I tried to copy it off of his SATA drive mounted on a USB
converter plugged into my USB port.  The system found it as /dev/sdb.
I could see that it had 2 partitions, sdb1 and sdb2.  The data was on
the sdb2 partition, but when I plugged it into my F14 laptop USB port,
only the /dev/sdb1 partition finished mounting.  I could see the
/dev/sdb2 mount command running with "ps", but it never finished
mounting.  The mount point directory remained blank.  And, to boot, I
couldn't kill the mount command with a "kill -9".  The process was in
one of the "D" states, but there were no errors in /var/log/messages,
and the process never seemed to finish, not after 10 minutes....

Could someone please explain to me what would keep the partition from
mounting (with ntfs-3g and ntfsprogs installed).  I'm pretty sure I
can't kill it because the system is waiting for some disk IO to
complete, but I can be annoyed because it is taking so long.

(If it helps, this disk used to be the system disk on my client's
Windows 7 system.  It developed a problem that keeps it from booting
Windows 7 properly.  So, the customer went out and purchased a new disk
drive to replace it, installed Windows 7 on it along with their
application.  Now they just want to migrate their old database from the
old disk drive to their new disk drive so that they have access to their
customer data again.  Windows 7 is able to mount their old disk drive as
the G: drive (though it takes a short while), but they are unable to
copy their database off it due to "Permissions" problems.  Which is
strange because all the file permissions look to be the same on both
disk drives.)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxxxxxx