Solved, sort of. Was my wireless connection quit. (F14/ 2.6.35/ Intel 4965 )

I solved it, mostly. My problem had several causes.

1) Somehow the router I thought I was using became disconnected.  Thus
it wasn't available to connect to.

2) When I looked closely, Windows computers were connecting to a
different router, not the one I thought.  Note to self, more descriptive
router SSIDs !

3) the KDE network manager plasmoid I had installed was from KDE-testing
and hadn't been upgraded since November ish.

4) the KDE network manager plasmoid wasn't showing networks that
required security or at all.  Not sure what was happening here.

I solved it with the following steps.

1) I traced the router problem until I encountered the unplugged device.
Then the Windows computers could see the network I was after and connect
to it.

2) I turned off network management for my wireless device.  Configured
it manually.   This got things working, though apps like Evolution and
Firefox wouldn't work because they expect a network manager managed
connection and I didn't have one.  However, I did have access to yum.

3) I removed the kde networkwork management plasmoid

4) I removed NetworkManager.

5) I rebooted.   Now I had a wireless network connection and Evolution
and Firefox worked correctly.

I'll leave things set up like this for now.  In the future I'll set up a
network management system again, because its very handy when it works.

I hope this helps someone.

Thanks.