SOLVED ! (Re: Locking down F14 shutdown options)

Here's how I solved this The Right Way (tm), in case anyone else
searches for this and finds this thread.

On recent Fedoras (F14, F13, not sure about others) this is done by
hacking PolicyKit.

Shutdown and Restart are configured by editing

	/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.consolekit.policy

and changing

	<allow_active>yes</allow_active>
	<allow_active>auth_admin_keep</allow_active>

for both "Stop the system" and for "Restart the system". There are two
other actions in there (stop/restart when others are logged in), which
already have the more restrictive "auth_admin_keep" authorization
setting.

Suspend and Hibernate are done in the same fashion, but the file to
edit is

	/usr/share/polkit-1/actions/org.freedesktop.upower.policy

At this point, one no longer has to worry about hiding or removing the
gnome "power" button from either the gdm greeter or a user's panel.
When the button is clicked and any of
shutdown/restart/suspend/hibernate is selected, the system will ask
for the root password before proceeding, which is exactly what I was
looking for.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions and ideas that eventually helped
me pick the right keywords to google for :)

--Gabriel