Re: Play DVD

On 01/13/2011 11:46 AM, Don Vogt wrote:
> I have had this, or a similar problem, with fc14. My  problem is that the dvd playing program (I believe it is XINE) says it can't find /dev/dvd. That is because there is no /dev/dvd. My fix is to open mc go to /dev and copy dvd1 to dvd. I tried to use a command line and run "cp /dev/dvd1 /dev/dvd", but that didn't work. I don't know why, I probably need a switch. I hope this helps.

Entries in /dev are no longer persistent.  They are created at system
boot time via UDEV rules.  Look in your /etc/udev at the configuration
files for hints as to how to create proper entries in your /dev
directory.  Any changes you might make directly to /dev will be lost on
your next reboot (ie, you'll have to make them again).

You might be able to put commands in your /etc/rc.local script, but the
proper place to make changes in /dev is via a set of local rules using
UDEV.  Don't change files that already exist as they might get
overwritten during a subsequent update.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxxxxxx