Re: Spamassassin behaving strangely

On 01/13/2011 05:19 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 01/13/2011 02:06 PM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> What do you have?
>
> Thunderbird.  If possible, I'd like to have a KISS solution as it's just
> for home use.

You still didn't mention if you have control of your MDA or if
Thunderbird is POPing or IMAPin email from elsewhere....

I too use Thunderbird to read my email, but from a local mail store (or,
at least a local IMAP server, where I put it when its delivered).
SpamAssassin either rejects the email the email in the MTA (sendmail),
or marks it as SPAM in the MDA (procmail, using SpamAssassin's SPAM
level).  Thunderbird can then act upon the "marking" and separate it
(along with its Bayesian filtering) into Junk folders for you.  Based on
SpamAssassin's "level", you can configure it to reject email in the MTA
(the most definite SPAM), or pass it along marked as possible SPAM for
further processing by further software, Thunderbird included.

If you don't have access to your MTA or MDA, you may not be able to use
SpamAssassin unless you can fit it into your MUA (in your case,
Thunderbird).  I don't think it fits directly into Thunderbird (though I
could be wrong, and often am).  Have you checked Thunderbird AddOns to
see if there is a SpamAssassin AddOn?  (I haven't.)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@xxxxxxxxxxx