Re: Ultimate inkjet printer for Fedora?

On Thu, 2011-01-13 at 13:02 +0100, valent.turkovic@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > I use an Epson Artisan 810. Fedora can directly handle its full-duplex
> > features, and I have a hint that I can send a job to the CD/DVD tray
> > (subject to the requirements for formatting a CD/DVD template). The only
> > thing: it won't accept an ink-level status report. Or am I missing
> > something? (I'm using the simplified driver that CUPS provides.)
> >
> > Temlakos
>
> I got friends's Epson SX115 to display ink levels by using
> stylus-toolbox app [1] , but I had to manually compile it because
> there is no Fedora package. It is a bit wonky, and some time you need
> to hit refresh button few times before it shows ink level but it is
> only app that I found that works with Epson printers.

I've always had great luck with the HP OfficeJet Pro series. Some of
them get a little expensive, but they do a nice job and all of the
drivers and support are available on F14 through the hplip package sets
(hplip and hplip-gui). You can use all of the features "out of the box"
with them.

I currently have (used it for about 18 months) an OfficJet Pro 6500,
which they don't appear to make anymore - the 8500 series seems to have
replaced them. It's shared between both my desktop and my laptop via
wired and wireless connections, respectively. The ink is inexpensive, it
can automatically duplex and collate, and I can use all of the features
(print, scan, fax, and copy) and manage everything via WiFi. Got a great
deal on it at Costco and haven't looked back!

Cheers,

Chris