Re: kde4 vs gnome ... stick with gnome for now

On Sunday 09 January 2011 19:34:12 Genes MailLists wrote:
>   I am an ex kde 3.5 user - I switched to gnome after the 4.0 mess ...
>
>   With the impending advent of gnome-shell - I decided to take a look at
> kde4 again on f14 - after a brief revisit I found it to be a
> look-dont-touch GUI ... :-(
>
>   In my opinion - it suffers the same basic flaws that made many of us
> leave in the first place unfortunately.
>
>   Here's a couple things that perhaps are doable just not obvious.
>
>   I started with a fresh kde login - I created a new panel on top in
> which to add the set of things I commonly use.
>
>   (1) Adding an app to panel which isn't in kde menu not possible.
>
>        (e.g. user apps - things i need for work, whatever)

Add it to the menu first. Right-click the kde menu icon, select menu editor, do
an "add item" in a convenient position, save, close. Then go to the menu,
right-click your app, and select "add to panel". Make sure to unlock the
widgets before you try to add it to the panel.

>   (2) Moving App icon in panel where you want it - not possible
>
>      (a) not obvious - basic UI flaw - middle click etc dont work.
>
>      (b) if you click "panel settings" and then you can move icon
>
>      However the icon springs back to the side afterwards so you cannot
> place it where you want it as it doesn't stay where i put it.

Add a panel spacer (there is an "add spacer" button for it once you open the
panel settings), or many of them, and adjust their relative positions
(drag&drop) so that the icon sits where you want it. Close panel settings.

>   (3) virtual desktops widget - the grouping of things by name -
> terminal in my case - still doesn't work - this was reported way back in
> kde 4.0 - still doesn't work.

I'm not using that one, cannot help, sorry. :-)

there. The folks there are quite friendly and willing to help out. :)

HTH, :-)
Marko