Re: Repairs using Live Media??

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 05:54:30 +1030, Tim wrote:

> On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 18:49 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
>>         I have live media running respins of F14 on machines where F14
>> is installed, and doing better with my monitor than the hard drive has
>> been doing.  (One is currently running the Fusion release candidate;
>> the other has the plain F14 Live.)
>>
>>         I want to figure out what is different, and edit the
>> corresponding file on the hard drive to match.
>>
>>         But for some reason, I can't seem to remember nor reconstruct
>> any way to get to the hard drive. What am I not seeing??
>
> Mount a hard drive partition, copy the currently working xorg.conf file
> to it,

	Afaict, there is no current xorg.conf, period, on the hard drive
nor on the live medium; whatever is working must be something else.

> then use it as a template when you reboot from your hard drive
> installation.

> Hint:  mount /dev/sd-whatever /mnt

	That's probably the thought I'm missing. But there are only five /
dev/s-whatever files. Two are scd0-1, both symlinks of size 0; the other
three are sda, sda1, sda2 -- all size 0.

	Is it going to do any good to mount empty files??

> Don't actually have an xorg.conf file?  Try making X create one.

	How do I do that??

	And how will it help? Since none exists, doesn't that mean the
live media are running GUIs some other way??

> Alternatively, copy the xorg log files from the live session to your
> hard drive, so you can compare them.

	None exist, afaict; certainly not in /etc/X11