Re: Computer transplant -

--- On Wed, 1/5/11, Bob Goodwin <bobgoodwin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     This computer has
> developed problems and I have elected to replace
>     it with another used computer which FedEx
> should deliver in a few
>     days. I know I can transfer file from one to
> the other but is there
>     any hope I could simply install these hard
> drives and boot from
>     them. That would save me the effort of a lot
> of configuration.
>
>     I suspect not but wanted to ask before doing
> anything else.
>
> [snip]

I've basically done what you're talking about doing on 3 machines, two used and one built from scratch with a new motherboard.  Never had any problems. However, the machines were all similar--IDE, 32-bit AMD CPUs, but different models and sockets, same RAM chips.  I used the same graphics card in the two used ones, and a new card in the new one, but the floppy drive, CD drive and burner, and, of course, hard drives were the same for all 3 as was the monitor.  All three booted right up.  Didn't have to reconfigure anything.

Also, on my current 64-bit Athlon system, I'm on my third monitor--CRT, 4:3 LCD and Wide LCD--second graphic card, second CPU (first was single core, second dual) and never had to adjust or reconfigure anything after the changes were made.  Maybe, I'm just lucky. ;-)

Just go ahead and try.  The worse that will happen is it won't work and you'll have to do a clean install.