Re: Virtual Mac or Windows Interface

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Doll, Margaret Ann
<margaret_doll@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 1:59 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Doll, Margaret Ann
>> <margaret_doll@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > We use a lot of Adobe software at the University.  The software includes
>> > Illustrator.
>> >
>> > Is there a virtual way to run Mac or Windows software on a Fedora
>> > system?
>>
>> There's always WINE but it can be very hit or miss. Another option
>> would be to run Windows in a virtual machine.
>
> Do you know where the instructions to do this are available?

There's to many ways to make a complete list here with instructions,
but I personally use VirtualBox[1]. It's relatively easy to setup and
the performance is pretty good on modern hardware. They have a yum
repository to make installation[2] and updates easy.

The link is for version 3.2 but just replace "3.2" in the install
instructions with "4.0" to get the latest released version. I haven't
installed on a clean system for a while so I assume it pulls in
kernel-headers and kernel-devel when you install. If not you'll need
to install those packages as well. It needs them to build the kernel
module.

Richard

[1] http://www.virtualbox.org/
[2[ http://www.thelinuxdaily.com/2010/11/how-to-install-virtualbox-3-2-on-fedora-14/