Re: Viewing apple.com trailers

--- On Sun, 1/2/11, Alex <mysqlstudent@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> Here is an example:
> >>
> >> http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/paramount/truegrit/
> >>
> >> Perhaps there's a firefox plugin, or you know how
> to get something
> >> like VLC to play them from the URL?
> >
> > Do you have all the required codecs? I use the
> > gecko-mediaplayer-plugin and it downloads and starts
> playing in a
> > separate instance of gnome-mplayer just fine. I can
> then right click
> > the video and save it. Does it work differently for
> you?
>
> I believe I have all the required codecs, but that is not
> at all what
> I'm experiencing. For me, there is no video, just audio. No
> additional
> window.
>
> Trying to find that plugin using yum, I see:
>
> Warning: No matches found for: gecko-mediaplayer-plugin

It's just gecko-mediaplayer.  The file contains both the player and the plugin.

Also, you should uninstall Totem completely, since gecko-mediaplayer does everything it does and does it better.  I've never had good results with Totem since I started using Fedora--Fedora Core 3.  It took me until Fedora 9 to realize what the problem was.  Since getting rid of Totem, everything works as it should without stuttering, freezing, and just not working at all.

The above link works fine on my Fedora 12 64-bit system, Firefox 3.5.15.  Here are the installed plugins as reported by about:plugins:

======

Shockwave Flash

    File name: libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 10.2 d161

IcedTea NPR Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea6 1.8.3 (fedora-43.1.8.3.fc12-x86_64))

    File name: IcedTeaPlugin.so
    The IcedTea NPR Web Browser Plugin (using IcedTea6 1.8.3 (fedora-43.1.8.3.fc12-x86_64)) executes Java applets.

DivX Browser Plug-In

    File name: gecko-mediaplayer-dvx.so
    Gecko Media Player 1.0.0

    Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer

QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.4

    File name: gecko-mediaplayer-qt.so
    Gecko Media Player 1.0.0

    Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer

RealPlayer 9

    File name: gecko-mediaplayer-rm.so
    Gecko Media Player 1.0.0

    Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer

Windows Media Player Plug-in

    File name: gecko-mediaplayer-wmp.so
    Gecko Media Player 1.0.0

    Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer

mplayerplug-in is now gecko-mediaplayer 1.0.0

    File name: gecko-mediaplayer.so
    Gecko Media Player 1.0.0

    Video Player Plug-in for QuickTime, RealPlayer and Windows Media Player streams using MPlayer

iTunes Application Detector

    File name: librhythmbox-itms-detection-plugin.so
    This plug-in detects the presence of iTunes when opening iTunes Store URLs in a web page with Firefox.

MozPlugger 1.12.1 handles QuickTime and Windows Media Player Plugin

    File name: mozplugger.so
    MozPlugger version 1.12.1, written by Fredrik Hübinette, Louis Bavoil and Peter Leese.
    For documentation on how to configure mozplugger, check the man page. (type man mozplugger)
    Configuration file:	/etc/mozpluggerrc
    Helper binary:	mozplugger-helper
    Controller binary:	mozplugger-controller
    Link launcher binary:	mozplugger-linker

======

This is the resource I use for my Fedora installs:

   http://www.mjmwired.net/resources/