Re: ipv6 question

On Sun, 2011-01-02 at 17:40 -0500, Genes MailLists wrote:
>    How does one manage your internal ip6 network so that an ISP change
> (which under NAT/ipv4 is irrelevant) - is straightforward/clean to
> manage ?

The simple answer is *DNS*.

I don't email or web browse to numerical IP addresses.  Nor does any of
my internal systems connect to services by IP addresses.  They all use
DNS.  I learnt, long ago, that IPs will often change, or need to change,
as the topology of a network gets re-arranged.  But when you use domain
names, your mail server is always mail.example.com, and none of the
clients need reconfiguring to accommodate system admins rearranging the
computing furniture.

Services change hosts all the time, and other than for a transition
period, nobody outside of the people configuring the service are aware
of any change.  And this is the situation for IPv4 and IPv6.

Likewise, clients change IPs all the time, thanks to widespread
implementation of DHCP as an easy solution for central management, and
various sysadmins not caring whether the same IPs get reassigned to the
same clients, or reaching the conclusion that it doesn't really matter.

Only the pathologically obsessive really care whether the IP for
example.com is the same this year as last year.  Likewise for other
domain names.

On the other hand, IPv6 could be a godsend for spam filtering, or other
malicious internet use.  If all the hosts involved have real IPs rather
than non-unique private addresses, it becomes easier to blacklist them
and the providers which allow them.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.30.10-105.2.23.fc11.i686.PAE