Re: xmms only playing mp3 as root

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 18:41:35 +0200, Johan wrote:

> On 12/31/2010 05:20 PM, Rick Sewill wrote:
> > For me, when I am logged in, as a normal user, I do have a file,
> > ~/.xmms/config, and the line in my file is
> > output_plugin=/usr/lib64/xmms/Output/libxmms-pulse.so

Which is the Pulse Audio output plugin for XMMS, which is only available
if you install the "xmms-pulse" package. That one is not installed by
default when installing the "xmms" package.

> > I have not run xmms, as root.  I do not have a directory, /root/.xmms
> >
> > I thought, somewhere, I read, your xmms was looking for /dev/dsp.
> > I thought /dev/dsp was for the audio system, Open Sound System (OSS).
> > I thought, but could be wrong, OSS, was replaced,
> > in the default Fedora installation, by Pulse Audio
> > (with ALSA actually used to drive the sound hardware).
> >
> > I do not have the device file, /dev/dsp.

Correct observation. /dev/dsp and OSS would be unusual. Plus, Fedora's
"xmms" package defaults to using the ALSA output plugin.

> Good day Rick,
> This was a very constructive reply.
> No apologies required.
> I am so glad you did reply.
> My system is now fixed.
>
> .xmms/config for user was..
> output_plugin=/usr/lib64/xmms/Output/libOSS.so
> .xmms for root was..
> output_plugin=/usr/lib64/xmms/Output/libALSA.so
>
> Copied from root to user and all is well.

Fine. You should be able to delete your $HOME/.xmms/ directory and
create a working default configuration by restarting XMMS. It defaults
to ALSA.

There should not be a /root/.xmms/ directory at all. Better delete it and
not run XMMS as root user ever again.

> I use my laptop like my car. Drive it - stick to the rules - not messing
> with things I do not know about.

"xmms" is not installed by default, however. It is your personal choice
and required you to add it (and 3rd party plugin packages) manually.
There are tons of better audio players including several, which originally
had started as forks of XMMS. Several still offer the same "skins" interface
just based on GTK+ 2 instead of the ancient (and somewhat ugly) GTK+ 1.