Re: About programing, a general question

On 12/24/10, Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 December 2010 17:07:46 David Liguori wrote:
>> I'm surprised no one has suggested this so far as I've read so I will,
>> but if one is really interested in learning about how the hardware works
>> the most obvious place to start is "assembly" or "machine" language.
>
> Well, it actually was suggested before:
>
>   http://www.spinics.net/linux/fedora/fedora-users/msg387760.html
>
> There were also others that mentioned assembly afterwards, but I cannot
> bother
> now to dig out all those posts... :-)
>
> But as I said in that previous post, you don't want to *start* learning
> programming with assembly, but rather to *end* it with assembly.
>
> It gives you a hardware-level perspective on what happens inside a computer,
> and that is *not* a perspective any beginner should start with. If I
> understood correctly what OP wants, assembly is the ultimate answer to his
> wish to understand how programs actually run inside a computer. But in order
> to properly grasp the idea, he needs quite some experience in higher-level
> languages.
>
> It's a long road of abstraction from "point&click" GUI to a sequence of
> assembly instructions that are actually being executed. As the OP has no
> experience in higher levels of programming, it would be hard for him to have
> reasonable overview of that whole road just by looking at assembly. I would
> rather prefer the top-down approach than the bottom-up approach in this
> case.
>
> So the OP should start with, say, python, than advance to C, and then he may
> take a look at assembly. The OO and functional languages can be dealt with
> afterwards if he wishes to know about them.
>
>> You don't actually write machine code but rather, "nenomics" that
>> correspond to it.
>
> It's spelled "mnemonics".
>
> Best, :-)
> Marko

With all due respect.

I disagree..

Start at the bottom and work up.

To learn assembly you need to understand the architecture of the chip.
 This understanding of chip design and then execution codes will give
a great base to start with.

Best

Marvin

--
Marvin J. Kosmal

Disclaimer: This email is not intended to provide medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment. Views expressed here do not necessarily
reflect those of Farmer Marvin or any of the hens.